If you want to have a lush and healthy lawn, you need to feed it regularly with the right fertilizer. One of the best lawn foods on the market is Scotts Turf Builder, a product that feeds and strengthens your grass to help protect it against future problems. In this blog post, I will explain what Scotts Turf Builder is, how it works, and when and how to apply it for the best results.
What is Scotts Turf Builder?
Scotts Turf Builder is a lawn fertilizer that contains nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, as well as other nutrients and ingredients that improve the soil and the grass. It is designed to make your grass grow thicker and greener, as well as more resistant to drought, heat, pests, and weeds. Scotts Turf Builder comes in different formulas for different types of grass and soil conditions, such as:
- Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food: This is the all-purpose formula that can be used on any type of grass, any time of the year. It has an N-P-K ratio of 32-0-4, which means it contains 32% nitrogen, 0% phosphorus, and 4% potassium. Nitrogen is the main nutrient that makes your grass green and lush, while phosphorus and potassium help with root development and stress tolerance. This formula also contains Scotts All-In-One Particles technology, which ensures even feeding and greening of every blade of grass.
- Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Lawn Food: This is a special formula that is designed to prepare your lawn for the winter months. It has an N-P-K ratio of 32-0-10, which means it has more potassium than the regular formula. Potassium helps your grass withstand cold temperatures and snow. This formula also contains 2% iron, which enhances the green color of your grass.
- Scotts Turf Builder Thick’R Lawn Sun & Shade: This is a 3-in-1 formula that combines fertilizer, grass seed, and soil improver. It has an N-P-K ratio of 9-1-1, which means it has less nitrogen than the regular formula, but more phosphorus and potassium. Phosphorus helps with seed germination and root growth, while potassium helps with water retention and disease resistance. This formula also contains high-performance grass seed that fills in bare spots and thickens your lawn.
How does Scotts Turf Builder work?
Scotts Turf Builder works by providing your grass with the essential nutrients it needs to grow strong and healthy. It also improves the soil quality by enhancing its water absorption and nutrient availability. By feeding your lawn regularly with Scotts Turf Builder, you can expect to see the following benefits:
- Your grass will grow thicker and greener, with more blades per square inch.
- Your grass will develop deeper roots that can reach more water and nutrients in the soil.
- Your grass will be more resilient to stress factors such as heat, drought, pests, and weeds.
- Your lawn will look more beautiful and inviting throughout the year.
When should you apply Scotts Turf Builder?
The best time to apply Scotts Turf Builder depends on the type of formula you are using and the climate you live in. Generally speaking, you should apply Scotts Turf Builder when the grass is damp, either after rain or during the morning dew. You should also avoid applying it before heavy rain or during extreme heat or cold. Here are some guidelines for applying Scotts Turf Builder according to the seasons:
- Spring: This is when your grass wakes up from dormancy and starts growing actively. You should apply Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food or Scotts Turf Builder Thick’R Lawn Sun & Shade in early spring to give your lawn a boost of nitrogen and other nutrients. You should also apply Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Weed & Feed3 in late spring to control broadleaf weeds such as dandelions and clover.
- Summer: This is when your grass faces the most stress from high temperatures and low moisture. You should apply Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food or Scotts Turf Builder SummerGuard Lawn Food with Insect Control in early summer to provide your lawn with extra protection against heat and drought. You should also apply Scotts Turf Builder SummerGuard Lawn Food with Insect Control in late summer to prevent insect damage such as chinch bugs and sod webworms.
- Fall: This is when your grass prepares for the winter months by storing energy in its roots. You should apply Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Lawn Food or Scotts Turf Builder Thick’R Lawn Sun & Shade in early fall to help your lawn recover from summer stress and build strong roots for winter survival. You should also apply Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Lawn Food or Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Weed & Feed3 in late fall to prevent winter weeds such as chickweed and henbit.
How should you apply Scotts Turf Builder?
The best way to apply Scotts Turf Builder is by using a broadcast spreader, such as the Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard DLX Broadcast Spreader. A broadcast spreader is a device that distributes the fertilizer evenly over a large area by spinning a disk that flings the granules in a circular pattern. To use a broadcast spreader, you should follow these steps:
- Fill the hopper with the desired amount of Scotts Turf Builder, according to the instructions on the bag.
- Set the spreader to the appropriate setting, according to the instructions on the bag.
- Start walking at a steady pace and push the spreader across your lawn, making sure to overlap slightly with each pass.
- Apply half of the fertilizer in one direction and the other half in a perpendicular direction, to ensure even coverage.
- Sweep or blow any fertilizer that lands on sidewalks, driveways, or other hard surfaces back onto the lawn.
- Water your lawn lightly after applying Scotts Turf Builder, unless it is raining or expected to rain within 24 hours.
Scotts Turf Builder is a great product that can help you grow a thick and green lawn that you can be proud of. By choosing the right formula for your grass type and soil condition, and applying it at the right time and in the right way, you can enjoy the benefits of a healthy and beautiful lawn throughout the year. If you want to learn more about Scotts Turf Builder and other lawn care products and tips, you can visit their website or watch their videos. Happy lawn care!